A woman was horrified when what she thought was a bite of harmless vacation bugs turned out to be fly larvae encrusted in her head.
The 55-year-old tourist, who was not named, returned to the United Kingdom from a trip to Uganda, Africa, with a swollen swelling in the head.
The women came to their health doctor nine days later complaining about swelling and pain and was initially sent home with antibiotics for an infection.
But, on a second visit to his doctor, a closer inspection found the eggs flying in the center of his bulge full of bugs, as documented in the British Medical Journal.
A small opening was found in the middle of the dough, which, according to the experts, was a breathing hole for a fly or monkey.
The BMJ describes how doctors applied an oil jelly to the area before "a larva was manually extracted and sent to the London Tropical Medicine School for examination."
The larva was identified as the Lund fly: a rare species of African tropical forests.
Another ultrasound on the woman found a more maggot inside her head, leading her to undergo surgery to eliminate it.
Dr. Farah Shahi, a specialist in infectious diseases at the teaching hospital in the United Kingdom of York, told LiveScience that a fly or macaque had eggs placed in a towel that women used to wrap their hair and then threw it at the forehead.
The woman recovered and the authors of the report indicated a single case registered in the United Kingdom since 2015.