Wednesday , April 1 2020
Home / unitedstates / Chicago: A good Samaritan paid for hotel rooms for dozens of homeless people this week

Chicago: A good Samaritan paid for hotel rooms for dozens of homeless people this week

Little did he know that a good Samaritan was paying to put them in hotel rooms.

It was brutally cold in Chicago, with temperatures from 20-25 below zero on Wednesday. The homeless camp near Dan Ryan Expressway was heated by 150 to 200 portable propane tanks, many of them donated by generous citizens.

Shortly after noon, one of the store's tanks in the store exploded because it was too close to a space heater, the CNN WLS affiliate reported. That left the city officials without option, but to close the camp and hurry to find shelter for the people who live there.

"This is extremely insecure," said Commander David Byrd, head of the Illinois Police Region. Fortunately, no one was injured in the explosion.

Rachev said he received a call from the city asking him to help provide shelter for about 70 people. But then he received another call saying that it was no longer necessary because a good Samaritan offered to pay the hotel rooms.

"The Salvation Army was prepared to welcome approximately 70 individuals who were affected by the explosion, but reported that these services were not necessary since the individuals were already being taken," Rachev told CNN. "We are delighted that they are safe and warm."

Rachev said he did not know the identity of the good Samaritan or the hotel where homeless people were registered. Nor was it clear about the time during which they will stay at the hotel.

"We know that Chicagoans have very big hearts, but we ask that they do not provide propane tanks, since they are very dangerous," he said.

His words repeat those of the Chicago Department of Firemen, who said in a tweet: "During the extreme cold, we understand that people want to help our homeless population. However, we ask that in no case should donate propane tanks that are A potential fire The propane tanks can cause potential fires and explosions. "

CNN arrived in the city of Chicago for more information about the good Samaritan and will update the article.

Source link