Tuesday , May 18 2021

& Nbsp; Not Soul Taking Control & # 39 ;: As a storm in the New York area has suspended the night

On Friday morning, the snow of a winter storm began to melt, and people in New York wanted answers from their government officials.

But on Thursday night, they just tried to get home.

The region was paralyzed by snow and ice, with the effects that range from fallen tree branches in the city neighborhoods to children trapped in school buses for hours. In New Jersey, a person died after an accident involving a train and a car, said Governor Philip D. Murphy.

[[[[The New York area was almost paralyzed by six inches of snow. What is wrong?]

When the neighbors recovered and demanded an explanation, The Times asked readers to share your experiences. We continue to collect information and provide updates as they become available.

He usually takes Brian G. Andersson about 45 minutes to travel five kilometers from his office in a part of the Bronx to his home in Woodlawn.

On Thursday night, the trip took 10 hours and a half.

The trip started at 5 in the morning, Mr Andersson said. While he usually travels by subway or bus, he and his wife had planned to watch a movie in Yonkers, and so she went to find her.

They did not make the selection. When Mr. Andersson left, the snow was heavy enough to decide to go home. The problem was how to get there.

While heading south on the Grand Concourse, Mr. Andersson and his wife searched for Waze and Google Maps to find the least obstructed cross street to take them to the Major Deegan Freeway. They did not have much luck.

"I was scared to go to the other side," he said, "because when you looked at your devices, you showed these horrible red lines saying you could not move."

Eventually, they stopped around the Yankee Stadium and headed home. They would not arrive until 3:30 in the morning.

"There were dots when I wanted to get out of the car and scream the lungs," he said. "There was not a soul taking control and directing things."

The run down at the Port Authority was so bad at 4:45 p.m. On Thursday, Kim Hoyos, 23, asked initially if there was an incident.

"I thought someone had a heart attack or some type of accident," he said, "or there was a fight or something like that."

Mrs. Hoyos, who lives in Parsippany, N.J., has left her office in Times Square to try to catch a previous bus. When he arrived at the Port Authority, he said, the escalators on the upper floors of the bus station have already been blocked.

With Twitter slowly charging on your phone, I was not sure if your bus route had been canceled or delayed. So he waited, staying at the bus station for more than two hours while trying to get more information.

"I continued to negotiate with me," said Mrs. Holes "Like, I stayed here, at least I would get things faster."

As more people continued to arrive, the whole area began to feel "very, very claustrophobic," he said. Then she began to see the agents in charge of the law closing the doors.

"I was very naked," he said. "They were trying to limit foot traffic, but there was no announcement that I heard about it, so it was a little inductor of anxiety."

Finally, she left her trip and sought refuge with a friend in Brooklyn, where she spent the night.

That part of his way, he said, was easy.

"We take the train to Brooklyn and we take Uber," said Mrs. Holes "There are no problems at all".

Chibani Bennasr, 39, a New York taxi driver, said he was trapped in a block of East 46th Street for an hour and a half after the snow fell and the branches fell from traffic.

The passenger jumped from the yellow cabin after 20 minutes. That left Mr Bennasr alone in the car, he said, where he played games on the phone to try to relieve stress.

"The whole city was a parking lot," he said. "It was bad. You want to move but you can not move. I see people get frustrated. I feel frustrated, I probably have a heart attack."

Mr Bennasr said that when traffic started moving again, he decided to call him one night and return home to Jersey City. It took him two more hours to get there.

They all said he lost $ 80 because of the storm.

"I prefer to pay for my own pocket that I feel there and deal with frustration," said Mr Bennasr.

Leah Epstein lived in New Jersey during Hurricane Sandy. She experienced great storms of snow and switched through its aftermath.

And yet, she said, she never experienced anything like the driving house on Thursday night.

"It was hell on earth," he said.

Miss Epstein, a horse trainer, works in a farm about 10 miles from her home in High Bridge, N.J. If you do it correctly, you can take the trip in 18 minutes. On Thursday it took him more than four hours.

"I was very grateful that I did not have another cup of coffee before leaving the job," said Friday. "Because he literally tried to figure out how, if he had to do peeing, he would get out of the car."

In the whole city of New York, especially in Manhattan, people woke up on Friday to tree butchery.

The trees and their members were scattered around streets and sidewalks, blocking traffic and pedestrians. And even when the snow began to melt, the branches and stacks of soaked leaves remained.

City officials received about 1,700 service requests related to damaged trees at 11 o'clock in the morning, according to New York City Commissioner Mitchell J. Silver. Of the requests, about 600 of them went to the trees that had fallen.

Most calls were concentrated in Manhattan, said Silver, which is not common for winter storms.

"Queens is often the municipality with the most trees," he said.

The abundance of autumn foliage, usually a blessing for city dwellers eager to absorb the last touches of nature before the winter blows, was in part to blame. The wet snow adds more weight, said Silver, causing stress to the trees that also aggravates by the wind.

As officials worked to clear the blocked roads and gangways, the parks department urged people to stay out of the city's parks until the winds declined and workers could clear the remains.

Winnie Hu contributed reports.

Source link